Monday, February 3, 2014

ARC Review: The Tyrant's Daughter By: J.C. Carleson



Title: The Tyrant's Daughter
Author: J.C. Carleson
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Publication Date: February 11th, 2014
Source: Random House Kids for review
Format: Physical ARC

Synopsis from Goodreads: From a former CIA officer comes the riveting account of a royal Middle Eastern family exiled to the American suburbs

When her father is killed in a coup, 15-year-old Laila flees from the war-torn middle east to a life of exile and anonymity in the U.S. Gradually she adjusts to a new school, new friends, and a new culture, but while Laila sees opportunity in her new life, her mother is focused on the past. She’s conspiring with CIA operatives and rebel factions to regain the throne their family lost. Laila can’t bear to stand still as an international crisis takes shape around her, but how can one girl stop a conflict that spans generations? 

J.C. Carleson delivers a fascinating account of a girl—and a country—on the brink, and a rare glimpse at the personal side of international politics. 

Review: This book made me feel so ashamed of myself. While I'm not completely oblivious to international news, I've never thought about it in full depth. And after finishing The Tyrant's Daughter, I realized just how completely blind I am. 

Characters: In this novel, we meet Laila and her younger brother, the "exiled king." They are foreigners in a country where their presence is not welcome, and Laila feels completely overwhelmed. While not many people might be able to relate to the circumstances of Laila's life, J.C. Carleson incorporated the universal themes of assimilation and social conformity. Imagine a life without raves and crop tops and what-nots. That is what Laila had, and then she was thrust into the shocking life of a typical teenage girl. I am disappointed in myself for judging her. I judged Laila, from the minute she so desperately wanted to fit in, to the moments that her outlandish behavior made her seem naive and ignorant to me. But when I really sat down to think of it, I realized that I, among a vast majority of girls, would have done the same thing had I been in her position. It is a typical, common desire for acceptance that even may be influenced by.

Writing: The one word that comes to mind when I think about the writing in The Tyrant's Daughter is THOUGHT-PROVOKING. Through an outsider's voice, I saw the contrast between our petty problems and the world changing conflicts other less fortunate countries are dealing with. This made me stop and think and just really appreciate how lucky we are to have a house, to have electricity. In fact, the very idea of me sitting in my warm house, writing this review on a computer I can call my own is so so different from the things described in The Tyrant's Daughter. We are so fortunate we don't have to be worried about a very possibly bombing or inevitable civil war every day. J.C. Carleson has a way of telling a quiet but very very powerful story.

Storyline/Plot: It's very hard to relate to the events that change Laila's life, mainly because they are things that would never change ours. This made the storyline slightly confusing at times, but nevertheless, it was still a fantastic book.

Conclusion: Ladies and gentleman, here you have it. One of 2014's Movers and Shakers (is that what you call a really powerful book? It doesn't even matter- just read this book!) Words cannot describe how wonderful The Tyrant's Daughter was.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds like a phenomenal story. I hadn't heard of it, but now that I have I won't forget it. I will do my best to find a way to read it. Don't feel bad about not being completely aware or up-to-date on international news. I am 31 years old, and I am not all that well-informed either. I have a hard time sitting and watching the news. It can be incredibly heart-breaking. So maybe, this one would be a great story as well as a good lesson! Thank you for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaime, as always, for leaving a lovely comment! Some news really can be heart breaking, but I'm trying to catch up on international affairs! *trying being the key word here* ;)

      Delete
    2. You are welcome! And I guess I should be trying myself!

      Delete
  2. Truly a strong plot with the heroine struggling for everyone around her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I couldn't entirely encompass into one review, but it definitely is an amazing novel!

      -Jayne

      Delete
  3. You have convinced me. This book sounds amazing:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I convinced you, Rade! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      -Jayne

      Delete
  4. I don't think I had heard about this one before, but I really need to add this one to my TBR list ASAP!
    Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! It really is a book worth the read! :)

      -Jayne

      Delete
  5. This sounds so fascinating! I got it not long ago from NetGalley but I am definitely bumping it up on TBR now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christa!

      It truly was an amazing book! If you do read it, and write a review, feel free to leave a link here so I can check it out! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      -Jayne

      Delete
  6. I've got this book from Net Galley waiting to be read, and now I think I might have to start reading sooner rather than later! Thanks for this engaging review of the book--I'm really excited about jumping in! -Kate

    ReplyDelete