Saturday, February 8, 2014

{ARC Review} Me Since You By: Laura Weiss



Title: Me Since You
Author: Laura Weiss
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Contemporary
Publication Date: February 18th, 2014
Source: Simon & Schuster/ Gallery Books for review
Format: Physical ARC

Goodreads

Summary: Rowan never thought about a life without everyone she loves. Reckless and wild, she's never stopped to appreciate what she truly has. And now everything is gone. On the fateful day that her father is called in to stop a man from killing himself and his baby, a million things go wrong, and the world turns to watch and point fingers at the one policeman who couldn't stop a tragedy. And the aftermath is a brutal, new reality for both Rowan and her father. Spiraling deeper and deeper into a depression, no one can revive the once valiant Nicholas Areno. And then with one day, one night, Rowan's world shatters as her father takes his final breath and pulls the trigger. Stricken with grief and pain, Rowan and her mother must learn to live in a dark world without the man who was their one shining light.

Review: First, a HUGE thank you to Gallery Books for sending me this copy for review! Take a look at this quote below:

"There is a land of living and a land of the dead
and the bridge is love,
the only survival, the only meaning."
-Thornton Wilder

Love. There was so much love in this book. Love, and grief, and raw, true pain. Laura Weiss writes about the shocking aftermath of suicide, the side that victims do not get to see. The pain and devastation, the anger and guilt that comes afterward. The side that, unless it has struck you and your family, you will not truly understand. 

And I will not try to pretend to even say that I know exactly what every person who has ever lost a father, mother, sibling, family member, even friend has gone through. I am lucky enough to be surrounded with the people I love today, but not everyone is fortunate enough to say that. And I just want to give every single one of you out there a great big hug. A friend of mine lost her father to sickness about a year ago, and I am ashamed to say that I never really put myself in her shoes until the moment I read this book. Because Rowan's emotions made me realize just how strong people seem when they are crumbling on the inside. 

Characters: Rowan was a daughter. Who lost her father. That is probably one of the most painful things in the world. Laura Weiss created an amazing character with Rowan. Her feeling and emotions showed just how strong she was, even when she just felt like giving up sometimes. And although Rowan took her family for granted in the beginning, she truly loved her father, and will always be Daddy's Little Girl. And there to help Rowan in her journey was Eli. Eli was an amazing character as well. He was Rowan's comfort, and I am so glad that two people who are hurting can make each other so happy. 

Writing: Laura Weiss's writing was perfect. Lyrical even through the emotional distress, Me Since You radiated feelings off the characters and it just makes you feel all the emotions and understand what the characters are going through. Her writing was bold and powerful, especially when it came to writing about suicide and depression. Suicide is a very tough subject, and Me Since You made me realize that it's not just something that happens to just teenagers. It can happen to anyone, and it is so so terrible for both the victims and their survivors. Another thing I just want to mention in this already long review: Laura Weiss has changed my perspective on A LOT of things in life. Rowan's father was a policeman. Up until now, I didn't really realize just how courageous of a job it really is. They don't just sit around all day and make phone calls. They have to see life for its bad side, and have to somehow go home and carry on. I don't think I could EVER find the courage to do that. The things that Rowan's dad dealt with would have completely terrified me, and again, I see the two sides of something, thanks in part of this amazing novel.

Conclusion: Me Since You is a daring, potent novel that will strike you in so many ways. I don't think I've read a book about death and grief that was as amazing as Me Since You in a very long time. So here's what I'm going to say: there are not enough words to describe this book. Me Since You will strike everyone in a different way, and I have a feeling that it will be for the better. I think everyone should read this book, whether it is to find courage, understanding, strength or all of the above. Trust me, it will change your life.

1 comment:

  1. Striking and very depressing. Those who are left behind surely will get to have too much emotions.

    ReplyDelete